This muffin recipe is in "150 best gluten-free muffin recipes" by Camilla V Saulsbury. A book I've already reviewed. My review ? Delicious! And I forgot to put in the 1/4 cup butter I'd melted. I got distracted on baking day and when I went to clean up at the end of the day found it still in the microwave and had to go thru my recipes just to figure out which one it was in. Probably because I subbed in Honey for brown sugar.
Brown Rice Blend
Pay attention: I'll give this blend once. Then when I review other recipes with it I'll refer you back here. So you might like to keep this made up, or keep a copy. This must be kept in the fridge.
In a bowl whisk together 2 cups finely ground brown rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca starch. That's easy. Multiply up a big batch to keep in fridge for the future. Remember- she had 150 muffin recipes!
1&1/4 cups buttermilk
1&1/4 cups certified gluten free large flake (old fashioned) rolled oats, divided
1cup Brown rice blend (see above)
2tsp. gluten free baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2tsp. xanthum gum ( I don't use this-allergic to it and my muffins do just fine)
3/4 cup raw honey ( she uses light brown sugar )
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2tbsp raw liquid honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
and I also added 1/2 tsp. stevia powder
1. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and I cup of the oats. Let stand 2o minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400F
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the 3/4 cup honey, eggs, butter, the rice syrup or 2 tbs honey, and vanilla until blended. Stir in the oat mixture until blended.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthum gum, and stevia if you like sweet.
5. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well blended.
6. Divided the batter equally among prepared muffin cups . (12) Sprinkle with remaining oats
7. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool. ( I had a bite hot when baking just to see - really good.) Also I just popped my paper cupped muffins out on counter to cool).