I learned the hard way you may need to reduce oven temperature by 25 degrees at which point you may need to leave in longer -checking every 5 minutes.
When substituting over 1 cup of sugar you need to substitute 2/3 cup honey for every cup of sugar.
But under 1 cup it's 1to 1 substitution.
put water in measuring cups first to pour honey out easier.
When substituting honey for sugar in your old recipes reduce the liquid in your recipe by 1/4 cup for every cup of honey used.
Honey can be a little acidic so add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda for every cup of honey used.
Why all this trouble? Well of course for the red color diet it's the only sweetener you are allowed. But beyond that there are many reasons to fall in love with using honey way past Linda's diet. BTW only use raw, unfiltered never heated never processed honey. Local is best if available. Also never give honey to babies under 1 year. So let us count the ways:
1. This first one is the first and only reason I ever tried honey. I read this report that was supposedly from Copenhagen University but very recently was reported to be a hoax. I believed it at the time and followed the honey and cinnamon recipe twice a day and my joints did feel better after a couple months. For me it worked somewhat. Now I have to wonder if it was a placebo effect.
2. In a trial with 48 diabetics those fed honey for 8 weeks lowered their body weight, triglycerides, and total cholesterol while increasing HDI cholesterol. HDI is the "good one" that removes "bad" cholesterol.
3. Honey reduces C Reactive Protein -a marker of inflammation.
4. Unrefined honey contains antioxidants, Esp. Buckweat honey.
5. Manuka honey is a natural antibiotic for small cuts and burns. It helps sterilize and heal with less scabbing. Just put a thin layer on the cut or burn and place Band Aid over that.
6.Honey soothes coughs and sore throats.
7. Honey aids sleep. It helps facilitate the action of tryptophan . Take 1 teaspoon
8. Honey's anti bacterial and antiviral properties help boost immune systems. Try using 1 tablespoon honey and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice in 1/2 cup hot ( not boiling) water.
9. Manuka honey's antibacterial properties helps with ulcers and gingivitis.
10. Local raw honey is good for treating allergies and asthma
Raw, Unfiltered Honey is a low glycemic carbohydrate which enters your bloodstream more slowly than other sugars, giving you sustained energy.
YOU MUST USE ONLY RAW< UNFILTERD < UNPROCESSED HONEY!!!
Processed honey is heated and pasteurized. This can cause botulism in infants and does cause the honey to change to a high fructose corn syrup bad for all of us but esp. for diabetics. The heat also removes it's antibacterial properties.
The American Heart Association recommends no more than 10% of your total calories a day come from added sugar. For most women this is about 5 teaspoons of honey a day.
Benefits of Raw Honey and Ceylon Cinnamon :
1. As stated in # 1 above. it is reputed by some( esp. in Ayurvedic medicine) good for arthritis. They recommend a mixture of 1 tablespoon of honey with 1/2 teaspoon of Ceylon cinnamon powder30 minutes before breakfast. In another article it recommends 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of honey in hot ( not boiling) water 30 minutes before breakfast and again at bedtime. This is the way I did it.
2. In another study cholesterol was reduced in patients by giving them a paste of honey and cinnamon on bread for breakfast.
3. This last one was on an Ayurvedic diet blog. It was listed as a weight loss aid. I'm already doing this out there Red Color Diet so why not try this? It can't hurt. It just said to have one cup of hot water ( not boiling) with cinnamon and honey in it 30 minutes before breakfast on an empty stomach and at night before sleeping. Sound familiar? Hmm? I've already been on it in the past and didn't even know it when I did this for arthritis. Did I lose weight? who knows? Wasn't trying to at the time.
So there you are. I wonder if Linda knew all this?