Serves 4 as main course and 6 as a side. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
8 ounces gluten free elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons potato starch
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup milk ( whole is best)
2 and 1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place the rack in the center of the oven. Grease a 1 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook the macaroni in a large pot of boiling water until tender. Drain the macaroni; do not rinse it with cold water.
3. While the macaroni is boiling, melt the butter in a medium sized, heavy saucepan over low heat. Mix the potato starch and dry mustard into the melted butter and cook slowly, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the milk. Increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the white sauce is smooth, thick, and reaches the boiling point.
4. Reduce the heat and add 2 cups of the shredded cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Spoon the sauce into the macaroni and stir until well combined. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
5. Spoon the macaroni and cheese into the prepared dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
6. Place the baking dish in the center of the oven and bake at 350F for about 20-30 minutes, until golden brown and crisp on top. Serve immediately.